Re: [SLUG] MP3 Players on Linux

From: ronan (ronan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 10:41:56 EST

Mark Polhamus wrote:
> Richard Smoot wrote:
>
>> I am running SUSE 9.3 Pro. I got my wife a Sandisk SMX1 1024R v2 player.
>> I ripped a cd for her. I have the MP3 files ready. I hooked it up with the
>> included USB cable. It says it is hooked up. I can't find it in the file
>> manager to transfer the files.
>> I have a USB card reader for my camera memory, which works perfectly.
>> I thought this would be similar.
>> How does an MP3 player show up in SUSE?
>>

> Probably (hopefully) as a USB storage device.
I have a Samsung MP3 player, that came formatted with a special
Microsoft filesystem (MSP? MSF?) that enforces their DRM. I think this
is related to their PlaysForSure-logo program. When you stick the
device into a Windows machine, you have an option to transfer files via
Windows Media Player, but not an option to mount it like a normal USB
thumb drive (because it is not a FATxx or NTSC filesystem). It could
not be used with Linux at all.

Fortunately, I found (after a bit of Googling) that the Samsung website
has downloadable firmware to fix this problem. After flashing a
European edition of the firmware, not only was the filesystem FAT (works
with vfat under Linux), but the European firmware also had the ability
to play OGG audio files! I wonder why the US version was so crippled.

Hopefully, if your Sandisk player is similarly hobbled, you can find a
more friendly firmware. It might not be; you might just have to follow
other people's advice for mounting the device. Does anyone know if all
devices carrying the Microsoft "PlaysForSure" logo are required to have
a non-mountable Microsoft filesystem to support their DRM?

BTW, I recently saw a 1GB version of this Samsung YP-U2JXB MP3 player at
Target for about $90. It does have FM radio, and the European firmware
does work with the US radio stations (they usually tune to a different
offset than we do, where we tune to odd tenths like 95.7, 100.3 the
Europeans tend to put their stations on even tenths like 100.2, or even
half-hundredths like 106.25). However, while this MP3 player does have
a voice-recorder feature (records to WAV files), one feature that is
sorely lacking is the ability to record the FM radio :-(

--ronan