Re: [SLUG] Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2006 - 11:33:45 EST

Russell Hires wrote:

<snip>

> Actually, what I think about this statement is that MS realized that
> this was the ONLY way to "recover" anything for "their" IP. They
> couldn't sue (see SCO vs. IBM); they couldn't put the genie back in the
> bottle.

I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion, but you bring up an
interesting point I hadn't thought of. MS funded SCO, and I wonder if
they did so just to keep SCO going in the midst of the lawsuit. The idea
being to see if suing Linux out of existence would work. Obviously it
didn't.

(This is probably something everyone but me saw from the beginning. I
wouldn't be surprised. ;-)

Since I doubt MS has given up (they rarely do), I wonder what their
strategy is here.

--
Paul M. Foster