Re: [SLUG] Linux CD Ripping

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2006 - 23:13:38 EST

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Richard Smoot wrote:

> I am ripping CD's to MP3's for my wife's Sandisk 1GB player.
> I am using KAudioCreator with Lame running on SUSE 9.3 Pro.
> It is taking overnight to rip a CD. Am I configuring something wrong?

It's _possible_ that a poorly-written program would read a small bit, encode
that bit, then repeat. Each change of task may require some overhead. I
don't know if this is the case, but try copying all the songs to your hard
drive and encoding them from there. That's what I always do, and my
ripping runs at 48x, and encoding at ~10x, for a net speed of ~8x.

> Or is this just a slow ripper?

I'd guess misconfiguration first. What options are you using?

> What is the recommended ripper?

I use cdparanoia to rip the files to wav and lame to encode them. Formerly
I used cdda2wav to rip.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.no-ip.org:81

And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN