Re: [SLUG] Protest the Microsoft-Novell Patent Agreement

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 08:38:24 EST

On 11/28/06, William Coulter <wrcoulter30@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > "Know thine enemy." I'm not saying MS considers Linux an enemy, just
> that
> > paying to train its employees doesn't disprove that it does.
> >

> Yes, I see the wisdom in what you are saying. My one big problem with
> this whole thing is MS is
> trolling (sorry, but it makes since) around the open source looking for IP
> and then in five years
> or more, will sue the pants off everybody. I believe the one thing MS has
> learned from SCO is you
> have to have proof that you have in your position to show to the courts
> and open source.
>
> I do see this possible scenario. MS is trying to build its own version of
> linux and build it
> better than anybody else. Market it and make a killing of a profit. Kill
> the likes of redhat,
> suse, novell and be the dominate of both worlds. Now they control it all.
>
> In any case, I don't trust MS and I would put a very, very tight reign on
> them.
>
> William

That would be like Sony making cars! It does not mean it would not work but
there is no brand reconigtion to it.

Honestly I dont belive MS could make something that would be gpl complaint.

You dont have to trust MS... Personally I dont. Protesting a publicly held
companies and what deals they make among them selves, is pointless it is not
going to cause anything to change. If there is gpl or other opensource
license violations with this deal lawyers will come out of the wood work to
sue MS. I am all about giving MS all the rope they want to hang them
selves.