[SLUG] Sound Debugging

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 12:26:36 EST

Folks:

I just upgraded my Debian *nst*ble system, in particular going from
kernel 2.6.8 to 2.6.18. Now my sound card does not work, whereas it
worked before.

dmesg tells me the card (Intel 810 onboard sound card, AC97) is there.
More modules load for that sound card than Carter has pills, and it
appears as though the right modules are being loaded (i810_audio,
ac97_coded, etc.). But if I go into XMMS to play something, it looks
like it's playing, with no sound. Checked the mixer. Checked headphones
instead of the speakers. Other music playing programs, same reaction.

For years, my impression of sound cards is that if they work, great. But
debugging them is like a black art. I found one site from Google which
took me through some steps to debug sound (Are the modules loaded? Is
something else capturing /dev/dsp? Are all these devices in /dev
built?), but no joy.

Are there any experts here, and what information would you need to debug
this? Or should I simply recompile the kernel from scratch and hope for
the best?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster