[SLUG] WINE application installation questions

From: Keith Lelacheur (themercuryman@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 15:29:14 EST

Good afternoon sluggers,

I never have used WINE for much and when I have it has always been in a
dual-boot situation where the windows appswere installed in their native
environment and then I just ran them under wine when booted into linux. I
am now running and Ubuntu (Dapper not Edgy) only box and trying to install
the Microsoft REader program so that I can view the *.lit files in their
native format and have the bookmarking capibilities. I have tried to run "$
wine MSReaderSetupUSA.exe" and I end up with a microsoft looking pop-up box
with the following text

----------------------
The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be installed.

IKernel.exe could not be copied to 'c:\Program Files\Common
Files\InstallSheild\Engine\6\Intel32'.
Make sure that you have the apprpriate privileges to copy files to this
folder. (0x20)
--------------------------
I went into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common
Files/InstallShield/Engine/6/Intel 32
and the results of ls -l are:
----------------------
total 928
-rw-r--r-- 1 lelachk lelachk 77824 2000-10-05 16:55 ctor.dll
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 602244 2000-10-05 09:01 IKernel.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 lelachk lelachk 221184 2000-10-05 16:50 iuser.dll
-rw-r--r-- 1 lelachk lelachk 32768 2000-10-05 16:49 objectps.dll
------------------------

I thought I could change the permissions of IKernel.exe from 755 to 644 but
didn't want to screw my wine installation without knowing what I was doing.
I have really screwed stuff up before by hacking around too much.

I thought that since is was a permissions issue I should run "$ sudo wine
MSReaderSetupUSA.exe" and then I ended up with the following pop-up box:

---------------------------
Internet Explorer 4.01 Service Pack 1 or higher is a minimum requirement for
this application. Please upgrade to Service Pack 1 or higher and then
resume setup.

I googled around a little bit and found lots of references to people using
the Microsoft reader under wine, but I can't find a site that deals with the
issues that I am having.

Has anyone run into this issue before or have any advice?

Thanks,

Keith