Re: [SLUG] WINE application installation questions

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 15:54:42 EST

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Keith Lelacheur wrote:

> Good afternoon sluggers,
>
> I never have used WINE for much and when I have it has always been in a
> dual-boot situation where the windows appswere installed in their native
> environment and then I just ran them under wine when booted into linux. I
> am now running and Ubuntu (Dapper not Edgy) only box and trying to install
> the Microsoft REader program so that I can view the *.lit files in their
> native format and have the bookmarking capibilities. I have tried to run "$
> wine MSReaderSetupUSA.exe" and I end up with a microsoft looking pop-up box
> with the following text
>
> ----------------------
> The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be installed.
>
> IKernel.exe could not be copied to 'c:\Program Files\Common
> Files\InstallSheild\Engine\6\Intel32'.
> Make sure that you have the apprpriate privileges to copy files to this
> folder. (0x20)
> --------------------------
> I went into ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common
> Files/InstallShield/Engine/6/Intel 32
> and the results of ls -l are:
> ----------------------
> total 928
> -rw-r--r-- 1 lelachk lelachk 77824 2000-10-05 16:55 ctor.dll
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 602244 2000-10-05 09:01 IKernel.exe
> -rw-r--r-- 1 lelachk lelachk 221184 2000-10-05 16:50 iuser.dll
> -rw-r--r-- 1 lelachk lelachk 32768 2000-10-05 16:49 objectps.dll
> ------------------------

It's complaining about the directory c:\Program Files\Common
Files\InstallSheild\Engine\6\Intel32 , not the files in it. What are the
permissions on ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common
Files/InstallShield/Engine/6/Intel32? (I fope the space in "Intel 32" is a
typo.)

> I thought that since is was a permissions issue I should run "$ sudo wine
> MSReaderSetupUSA.exe" and then I ended up with the following pop-up box:

No, that would look in ~root for drive_c (if that's the default location),
not ~lelachk. If you'd set wine up so that drive_c is not specific to the
user, that might work.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.no-ip.org:81
         Two atoms are walking along.  Suddenly, one