Re: [SLUG] Verizon FIOS

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 12:14:59 EST

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, chris lee wrote:

> On 12/8/06, Richard Smoot <rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> How is Fios?
>> They were supposed to have the whole county set up with FIOS by a year ago.
>> I still can't get it. I get the adds in the mail for it quite offten.
>> I have gotten very negative comment on their cable TV service.
>> Just how happy have you all been that have had it for a while on their
>> broadband internet service?

> roadrunner put out their high speed to compete with FIOS, $60 for
> 15/2, much better cable and customer service.

We have FiOS internet but kept Bright House (copper) CaTV. Last time there
was a hurricane in this area, we had BH everything, and it all went out for
*5 days* afterward. This way, they'd both be subject to disruption by say
an upended tree, but fiber, being non-conductive, doesn't care much about
water (unless the optical properties of water come into play). Since they
have mostly different failure causes, this avoids the "all eggs in one
basket" approach.

FiOS works fine otherwise; I've seen over 600 k/s transefers. Outgoing
bandwidth is around 250 k/s. Our main interface to it is a D-Link router,
but behind that are Linux, XP, W98 and MacOS boxes, and assorted network
gear.

--
The mnky gibbering and screeching used to keep me up at night, although
in the lst week or so it's prtty mch tailed off to nthng. The smell has