Re: [SLUG] Verizon FIOS

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2006 - 11:35:10 EST

Joe Brandt wrote:
>> I need a static IP as I run my domain. Do they offer that and is it
>> priced competitively?
>>
> No you don't. I have 4 websites on a dynamic IP I use ddclient to tell
> zoneedit (http://www.zoneedit.com/) my ip. It works well and does not cost
> anything and I pay cheaper internet because I do not need static. Only
> downside is I can not set up an e-mail server because their pool ip's are
> blacklisted.

I run SMTP for my domain and a majordomo list and do not want to mess
with blacklisted dynamic space. I've been using dyndns.com since the
late 90's for my domain. I could run my own DNS but dyndns.com is more
resilient and since I'm grandfathered in it's free for life :)

However I did search for some company I can reflect mail off of but I
have not found any cheaper than paying for a static from brighthouse
($69/mo for 7M/512K).
dyndns.com offers this but again it's more expensive than a static.

/sorry for the partial hijack

-Chris