Re: [SLUG] Localhost PHP and Iceweasel

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 00:28:20 EST

Daniel Jarboe wrote:
>> I don't understand this. Works fine on my machine, nearly identical
>> setup. Apache2 should be feeding the browser the data, not marking the
>> file for download. It works in Lynx, but not in Iceweasel. Iceweasel
>> shouldn't even care what kind of file it is. It should just call for
>> Apache2 to load the file, and Apache2 should send the contents, as
>> preprocessed by it.
>>
>> Am I missing or not understanding something here?
>
> Based on your description I sincerely doubt this is what's vexing you,
> but the first thing I could think of is make sure that Iceweasel is
> making an http request to your local server, and not attempting to
> open the file directly via file:// or similar.

Nice try. Iceweasel works find with other URLs, so it's not like it's
turning my http:// prefix into file://.

I did check on something else, though. That browser on that machines
handles PHP on the internet properly. And it handles PHP files fine when
they're based on another server on my LAN. Which tells me it has to be a
server misconfig. And yet, all was installed per aptitude in Debian. I
even fully stopped and fully restarted Apache2 (no "restart").

> But of course it wouldn't be that easy ;). Your apache2 configuration
> might shed some light on the situation. What modules are enabled?

Well, Apache2 is a little different from Apache, but the following
modules show enabled on that machine:

alias.load
auth_basic.load
authn_file.load