Re: [SLUG] XWindow Keypad configuration

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2006 - 16:27:49 EST

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Paul M Foster wrote:

> After installing the new XOrg version of XWindow on my Debian Sid system, I
> noticed that the keypad plus key (+) and keypad minus key (-) magnified or
> demagnified the screen (I don't know if they actually changed the
> resolution). And the keypad divide (/) and multiply (*) keys did nothing.
> This would all be fine, except that I use the keypad in finance applications,
> where the minus and plus keys become important. I couldn't have them
> magnifying the demagnifying the screen instead of generating the plus and
> minus signs.
>
> I didn't notice this behavior with XFree86, and I managed to get modifying it
> by issuing xmodmap commands, e.g.:
>
> xmodmap -e "keycode 82 = XF86_Prev_VMode KP_Subtract"
>
> This makes the default demagnifying behavior only present when the numlock is
> *off*. If it's on, then the minus key acts like a minus key. I repeated this
> for all four of the keys in question.
>
> But the next time I start X, I'll have to repeat the same procedure, or
> create a script to do it. What I want to know is if it's possible to specify
> the behavior I want in the xorg.conf file, the way you can when you want to
> swap the Control and Caps_Lock keys (ctrl:swapcaps). Anyone know?

Huh. That usually only works (changing the screen resolution, that is) when
ctrl-alt is held down. Sounds like other keys act normally, though...

You could try only having one resolution defined in xorg.conf, but I don't
know if that'll re-enable the normal operation of + and -, or disable _all_
functionality of them. Of course, if you occasionally want to use other
screen resolutions, that's a non-starter.

You could also try the "DontZoom" option for xorg.conf (see xorg.conf(5x));
that merely makes it harder to switch resolutions.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    http://royalty.no-ip.org:81
SCORPIO:  Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming