Re: [SLUG] slow connection

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2006 - 15:15:41 EST

Donald E Haselwood wrote:
> Michael,
>
> If it is merely a tee and not a signal splitter, then there will be a mismatch
> to the coax.
The package said splitter, but I'm in the middle of a plumbing issue
right now, so that's the term that came to mind.
> As I picture your setup the cable comes into the wall
> connector. As some distance from the wall connector you inserted the tee.

Nope. I pulled the wall connector away from the wall and slipped the
splitter in there with a little 6" piece of coax to reconnect the wall
connector.
> With the wall connector open there will be reflections, which will "suck out"
> certain frequencies.
It is hooked to my TV in the living room.
> With it terminated there will still be a mismatch, but
> the effect won't be so bad. You could try one of those 75 ohm cable
> terminators.
I was actually thinking about this and racking my brain to try and
remember if I've got an open end somewhere. I think that they are all
used. There should only be three at the moment. Two TV's and the modem.
> Or, try a signal splitter instead of a tee.
I could swear the package said signal splitter, but it's been a while
and you know how they will use misnomers to sell products anymore...
> Or, if you don't
> need the old wall connection, cut the coax, put a connector on it and a
> female-female to connect to the coax going to your office.

See above.
> As Chuck said, it could be some big-time loss. Signal boosters are one-way,
> so upstream signals would be blocked;
That's really what I was afraid of, which is why I had not yet made that
jump.
> however, maybe they have some new
> versions that act as "repeaters" for this type of application.

It may be worth researching, right?