Re: [SLUG] slow connection

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2006 - 15:21:36 EST

Ken Elliott wrote:
> Usually, the cable company puts a splitter just before the cable modem. One
> side of the split goes to the modem (50% of the signal) and the other side
> goes to the TV, or another splitter. So if you have two TVs, they each see
> 25% - half of the split signal from the first splitter. (That's not exactly
> how it works, but it's close enough.)
>
> I'll bet you moved the cable modem to a "25%" connection. You might be able
> to rewire things to allow a stronger signal to get to the modem. Each
> splitter drops the signal strength even more. You want the modem directly
> connected on the first splitter, and you want it to be a 1 to 2 connection,
> and to be of very good quality.

That's probably my problem. On the first one to two, it goes to the
living room TV and then the home office. The next splitter goes from
the home office TV to the modem. I could test this by bypassing the
splitter in the home office and see if that improves things. If so,
then bingo, problem solved. Then I would have to run a second coax or
do like Chuck said and put the modem back in the living room.