Re: [SLUG] slow connection

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 05:15:04 EST

On Sunday 17 December 2006 12:57, michael hast wrote:
> Okay. this question is not so much a Linux question as a
> networking/modem question, but you guys are a bright bunch, and I know
> that it's not beyond your abilities. Since I moved all of my computers
> from the living room to the home office, my browsing speed has
> dramatically decreased. I didn't want to mess with the cable company to
> get another jack put in, so I just teed off from where they had it
> coming through the wall and ran a cable through the attic to get to the
> home office. There is a TV in here, and the signal is quite fuzzy when
> we ever turn it on (suffice it to say less than frequently). I'm kind
> of thinking that the cheap-o coaxial tees that I purchased may be the
> culprit, but I have to also wonder if the teeing itself is my problem.
> I know they make cable signal boosters, but I haven't heard of anybody
> using such a devise upstream of a cable modem. Have any of you used one
> of these things in an application like this? I would just hate to waste
> the money if that wouldn't work. Thanks in advance.

If you have a weak signal to your TVs you need to let the cable company know
how many TVs you got. They will ensure you get a strong enough signal.
Usually there's enough to supply two TVs.

These splitters also need to be made for high frequency, not all splitters are
made the same.

Yes, you can use a repeater. If you got one that works in the high frequency
of cable TV. Again the right solution is to let them know you got two TVs,
one simple phone call away. (They will not charge extra unless you add
another converter, which I think is a couple of dollars.)

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.