Re: [SLUG] MP3 inflation

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2007 - 22:38:40 EST

On 1/16/07, Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> >> the HD it grows larger,
>
> >> Chuck, when you say "moving" are you using the copy (cp) command, or
> >> the MP3 file into an application, then saving it to the hard drive?
> >> There
> >> should be very little difference if you copy. But if you load the MP3
> >> file
> >> into an application and save, then you are actually decompressing the
> >> file,
> >> then recompressing - that could make a huge difference in file size.
>

> > Ken when I stick the CD in the drive I get a window that ask me if I want
> > to open it, play it, rip it, play it with (gives the usual list of
> > guilty ones).
>
> We are going to figure out if we are talking about a "music CD" which
> contains wav files or a DATA CD that contains mp3 files.
>
> Music CDs are not mounted, they are ripped to the hard drive,
> and unless they are converted on the fly they land as wav files.
> DATA CD that contains mp3 files must be mounted before being accessed,
> then they are handled the same as text or program files.
>
> The same song as a wav file will be on teh oprdder of 25 to 50 Megs
> and as a mp3 it would be 2-5 Meg depending on sample rate and other
> settings.

OK, now I am konfused... This CD as most of the ones I have has in the
parent directory WAV files then there are directories for CDDB, MP3
OGG and one more format. I tried to mount the things, but no joy, but
the system would open them and mount them under system. In fact it
was as folllows:
system://media/hdc

I looked at it from every direction and still could not get it to mount, on
my own. Anyhow, I figured out how to get the MP3's off without the in-
flation, I will continue to figure it out but at least I can get the files now.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;