Re: [SLUG] MP3 inflation

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 07:32:29 EST

This is what I think was most initially confusing about your post:
> MP3 file that was 2.4MB on the CD when moved to the HD grew to 3.7MB

Is it really MP3 files on the CD? First you say yes, then no, now yes again?

> This CD as most of the ones I have has in the parent directory WAV files
> then there are directories for CDDB, MP3 OGG and one more format.

It sounds like one of two things might be happening here. Either this CD is
a mixed-mode CD with some audio tracksand another track of data... or more
likely, this is a feature of the interface you are using. In fact, it sounds
a lot like this: http://docs.kde.org/userguide/audio-cd.html

If you did not realize what your GUI was doing on your behalf, I can see how
you'd be very "k"onfused. I guess members of this list that use KDE do not
use this feature.

FLAC is lossless encoding... best quality but at the price of a larger file
size. Lossless compression like FLAC is popular for live recordings where
the captured quality is already sub-studio and you don't want to reduce the
quality further.

Vorbis (ogg) is lossy but arguably better than also lossy MP3. It is also
open (which may or may not be important to you). If your players support it,
Ogg Vorbis is usually the way to go. That said, there are a lot of variables
and certain combinations of audio/bitrate will have higher fidelity in MP3
than vorbis.

~ Daniel