Re: [SLUG] MP3 inflation

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 10:12:01 EST

On 1/17/07, Daniel Jarboe <daniel.jarboe@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is what I think was most initially confusing about your post:
> > MP3 file that was 2.4MB on the CD when moved to the HD grew to 3.7MB
>
> Is it really MP3 files on the CD? First you say yes, then no, now yes
> again?

As far as I could see they were in a directory labled MP3

KDE opened the
> > This CD as most of the ones I have has in the parent directory WAV files
> > then there are directories for CDDB, MP3 OGG and one more format.
>
> It sounds like one of two things might be happening here. Either this CD
> is a mixed-mode CD with some audio tracksand another track of data... or
> more likely, this is a feature of the interface you are using. In fact, it
> sounds a lot like this:
> http://docs.kde.org/userguide/audio-cd.html

That explains the whole thing, that is exactly what I did, I put the CD in the
machine, it asked what I wanted to do with it (normally play but since I wanted
to put the files in my Nuvi, swiss army knife of GPS devices, it not only tells
you where you are but plays music while you are using it to get elsewhere)

So I hit the 'open' button, and there were the directories and WAV files on
the screen. Since the Nuvi only reads MP3's I went there and started pulling
the files off.

> If you did not realize what your GUI was doing on your behalf, I can see
> how you'd be very "k"onfused. I guess members of this list that use KDE do
> not use this feature.

Yep, the web page you gave me says it all. The slowness is in the conversion
process I am assuming

> FLAC is lossless encoding... best quality but at the price of a larger file
> size. Lossless compression like FLAC is popular for live recordings where
> the captured quality is already sub-studio and you don't want to reduce the
> quality further.

Yes the WAV, FLAC and CDDB files were the largest, and the MP3 and
Ogg files the smallest, with Ogg being the smallest of them all, but since
Nuvi does not do Ogg, I had to settle for MP3.

> Vorbis (ogg) is lossy but arguably better than also lossy MP3. It is also
> open (which may or may not be important to you). If your players support it,
> Ogg Vorbis is usually the way to go. That said, there are a lot of variables
> and certain combinations of audio/bitrate will have higher fidelity in MP3
> than vorbis.

Yes, I would prefer Ogg, both due to size and quality and the fact that it is
open. But the player in the Nuvi only handles MP3...

Now with the reading of the web page it is all clear and I think I understand
it all now. Up until last week I had never really done much with audio CD's
but play them. When I started wanting to put the audio elsewhere that is
when I got intereted in the whole thing. By way the K3b ripping is a lot
faster than KDE. But may not always have a K3b app on every machine
I maybe using.

I think that we can put this one to bed now, the size deltas are due to the
fact that KDE is doing a size guestimate, and it turns out to favor a smaller
size file. K3b I suppose does a better job at doing the estimate because
when converts the audio to the target MP3, it's guestimate and the final
file are the same.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;