Re: [SLUG] MP3 inflation

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 09:38:13 EST

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Daniel Jarboe wrote:

> FLAC is lossless encoding... best quality but at the price of a larger file
> size. Lossless compression like FLAC is popular for live recordings where
> the captured quality is already sub-studio and you don't want to reduce the
> quality further.

On a related note, anyone know how to decompress ".ape" ("Monkey's
Audio") files?

> Vorbis (ogg) is lossy but arguably better than also lossy MP3. It is also
> open (which may or may not be important to you). If your players support it,
> Ogg Vorbis is usually the way to go. That said, there are a lot of variables
> and certain combinations of audio/bitrate will have higher fidelity in MP3
> than vorbis.

And, I Have Heard that if you stick two ogg files end to end, you end up
with a valid ogg file, which is an easy way of getting two parts of a song
encoded differently (different bitrates, or mono/stereo, for instance), or
reassembling one continuous song which happens to span two or more tracks.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.no-ip.org:81
          They that can give up essential liberty to