RE: [SLUG] hd recovery

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2007 - 12:40:45 EST

>> How am I to use an XP/DOS program here?

It is self booting, using open source FreeDOS. It doesn't care what the OS
or drive format is.

>From the site:
"By operating directly upon magnetic storage media at a level below any
installed operating system, this major milestone release of SpinRite is able
to operate on all Windows XP NTFS formats, all DOS FAT, all Linux file
systems, Novell, Macintosh (if temporarily moved into a PC) or anything else
- it can even be used to repair and recover the hard drive from an ailing
TiVo!

SpinRite v6.0 achieves complete operating system independence by
incorporating the FreeDOS operating system. This allows it to be used on any
and all Intel/AMD PC systems. As you can see from the Windows screen image
above, SpinRite 6.0 can create a bootable diskette or generate a standard,
CD-R burnable ISO file to create a "SpinRite boot CD". A bootable SpinRite
can also be "installed" into any other motherboard bootable devices, such as
USB flashdrives for easy, portable booting and use."

Ken Elliott