RE: [SLUG] hd recovery

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2007 - 15:59:12 EST

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007, Ken Elliott wrote:

>>> How am I to use an XP/DOS program here?
>
> It is self booting, using open source FreeDOS. It doesn't care what the OS
> or drive format is.
>
>> From the site:
> "By operating directly upon magnetic storage media at a level below any
> installed operating system, this major milestone release of SpinRite is able
> to operate on all Windows XP NTFS formats, all DOS FAT, all Linux file
> systems, Novell, Macintosh (if temporarily moved into a PC) or anything else
> - it can even be used to repair and recover the hard drive from an ailing
> TiVo!
>
> SpinRite v6.0 achieves complete operating system independence by
> incorporating the FreeDOS operating system. This allows it to be used on any
> and all Intel/AMD PC systems. As you can see from the Windows screen image
> above, SpinRite 6.0 can create a bootable diskette or generate a standard,
> CD-R burnable ISO file to create a "SpinRite boot CD". A bootable SpinRite
> can also be "installed" into any other motherboard bootable devices, such as
> USB flashdrives for easy, portable booting and use."

Sounds great. Where do I get this bootable CD, and where can it store the
recovered files? Do I need to make a new partition and format it as FAT32?
There's no mkfs.ntfs AFAIK, so I'm limited to 64M or whatever mkfs.msdos
says.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.no-ip.org:81
          They that can give up essential liberty to