RE: [SLUG] hd recovery

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2007 - 19:59:59 EST

>From: Eben King <eben01@verizon.net>
>Subject: [SLUG] hd recovery
>Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 20:32:26 -0500 (EST)
>
>For my sister's iBook, actually. She dropped it and killed the hard drive.
>Bad sister. So I've got a "Mounting Kit for 2.5" IDE hard drive in 3.5"
>bay", and it's copying as I type. It's going at, on average, 17.x K/s.
>Slon. This is due to the extremely high number of errors (some 18000 in
>the first 2.6 GB). I can only hope that this is where most of the errors
>are concentrated, otherwise this will take all month, literally: 40E9
>B/(17825 B/s) ~= 2.2E6 s ~= 26 days.
><snip>

You should also check out ddrescue. It is similiar to dd but instead of
stopping if it encounters an error, it re-reads the damaged area forwards
and backwards. It does this and other tricks over and over until the entire
target is read. If the recovery is interrupted by the user, ddrescue is also
capable of resuming the recovery from the point that it was stopped.

I've used it successfully to make backups of some pesky CDs that use copy
protection. Note that the Debian/Ubuntu package name is "ddrescue" but the
executable is "dd_rescue".

Jonathon

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here. Get all the scoop.
http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline2