Re: [SLUG] XP on usb

From: Ron Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2007 - 20:56:57 EST

> A couple times a year I need to boot XP to deal with my pda.
> I am usng a Dell laptop which has a boot from usb option in the bios.
> I have an extra drive (now in an external case) with XP already on it from
> another compurer.

> I tried installing XP on the usb drive from a how-to on the web but it did not
> work.

> Is there a way I can have grub see the usb drive and load XP (and possibly
> another distro or 2)?

   It seems like grub would not come into play if the BIOS can boot from
a USB device. It is my understanding that drives with "M$ OS's" can not
be moved between different mommy boards, so a re-install to the USB drive
seems the most promising.

   What you and I really need is to get help getting LINUX working to
backup our PDA's. (I have a Sony Clie.)

   Using someone else's desktop or laptop to backup your PDA (to your
USB storage device) would be another possibility.

--
    Ron  KA4INM