Re: [SLUG] Projector & home theater pc

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2007 - 06:43:07 EST

On Sunday 21 January 2007 13:10, michael hast wrote:

> Steve, did you happen to get your
> dual-heads running on it? That's one of the things that I didn't mess
> with on it since I won't need a HTPC to run dual heads. I think this
> thing might just do what I want it to. I think it's worth more
> experimentation, anyway. I did notice that setting up file sharing and
> network browsing through the GUI is far simpler than it is on Debian.
> Which brings me to a new thread...

Yes, I did get dual head to work. It was actually pretty interesting as I
re-discovered a nVidia GUI tool which lets you configure X a bit easier.
(nvidia-settings). Though it's not a fool proof way to configure X, it's
still worthwhile.

Having so many good programs makes it a contender for programming, listending
to and mixing music, video. Ease of use lets you give it to anyone.

I'm very much in love with Sabayon at this point. It is what I always felt
Linux should be like, but never found in one distro. (Actually I'm ready to
preach it's gospel if you have not noticed.) The only thing that I find odd
is the apparent lack of hardware configuration tools. Lack of monitor
settings is annoying and can waste your time.

The network is a bit crippled with the use of NetworkManager as it will not
accept a search statement in resolv.conf. Which is good enough when you are
directly connected to your ISP. For the rest of us w internal DNS it's pretty
bad. (As far as I saw, the purpose with NM is to automatically recognize and
reconfigure your network settings if you move your computer around.) I killed
it, renamed the program and fixed the conf file manually.

There is a screensaver that kicks in outside the control of KDE which is
annoying.

As for accelerated 3D, it does not seem to work if you run dual heads. Which
could be a limitation of my old nVidia Ti 4200 card. There is the 3D manager
called Beryl which also manages which window manager is running, and it does
it live without needing to logout.

If you select 3D and it has a problem it will fallover to another window
manager that you specify. Sabayon includes five. If you notice it's not
running, you simply tell Beryl to load it again. By default it's installed on
the top bar and looks like a diamond.

Beryl comes with a lot of different looks, eye candy at it's best, and can be
configured to behave just as you please. Getting fed up with wobbly windows
when you move them? No problem. Every accelerated feature can be turned off.

There seems to be a whole new world to discover when it comes to Beryl
configuration options.

In all I have installed Sabayon half a dozen times and am noticing what to me
are idiosyncrasies but could just be me not being familiar with how a
Debian(?) like system works.

The configuration layout of the system is driving me crazy, coming from the
typical RH world. Nothing is where it "ought" to be. :)

But I feel like I'm doing less manual work to get to the final product that I
need, than on anything else that I have touched. Like you I don't give a hoot
about a pure GPL system, but want something that can get the job done.

Sabayon does it in spades.

I was very impressed with how polished specifically Gnome was on Novell, but
it has nothing on Sabayon, where even KDE has the same friendly menu system
recently introduced.

If you want to install the demo games, boot up on the DVD and then copy the
dir for the game you want from /install-(something). This way you get to save
any new settings rather than 640x480 as it ships.

Sorry for rambling on OT, but Sabayon really got me going, and after hitting
it hard for a week it's difficult to shut up...

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.