Re: [SLUG] Projector & home theater pc

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2007 - 13:10:24 EST

steve szmidt wrote:
> On Saturday 20 January 2007 15:54, michael hast wrote:
>
>> Well, guys, I think I'm going to haul off and do it. I'm getting tired
>> of watching TV and movies on an itty bitty TV. I've pretty well decided
>> that a projector is going to do well for my purposes, and that I'd like
>> to run it with a PC. Do any of you know what tuner cards work well with
>> Linux? Also, if any of you have advice on projectors, I'd love to hear
>> it. For that matter, Steve, do you think Sabayon might be a viable OS
>> for the machine? I'm open to advice there too. (In fact, I think I've
>> discussed that here before...) Thanks!
>>
>> --Michael
>>

> I was just going to say that Sabayon seems a good solution with the built in
> mediacenter s/w. It will even boot into Freevo. I've not had a chance to try
> the Freevo setup yet but it sure has all one could ask for when it comes to
> multimedia.

Well, I was curious enough that I downloaded and burned the ISO and
installed it on a little 15GB I've got handy. It's interesting. I
would not recommend it for purists as it comes pre-loaded with so much
proprietary stuff, but for those (like me) who just want something to
work without jacking with it once and a while, it seems like a pretty
good deal. It plays MP3's, DVD's, and all kinds of other three-digit
files right out of the box that you usually have to do some special
stuff to the Linux distro to be able to play. It even comes with Real
player and Google Earth. I thought I saw something about Flash 9 on
there, but I didn't really get the chance to play with that. I wanted
to get back to my precious Debian for the time being. It looks like it
will copy DVD's (for archiving only, of course!) and it's got several
apps that play them wonderfully. The distro ships with about six
different desktop managers. Choosing the familiar KDE, I found that
they tweaked the menuing on it so that it looks and acts very much like
"Finder" on OS-X. I didn't play with it enough to get a really good
feel for it, but it's interesting. Steve, did you happen to get your
dual-heads running on it? That's one of the things that I didn't mess
with on it since I won't need a HTPC to run dual heads. I think this
thing might just do what I want it to. I think it's worth more
experimentation, anyway. I did notice that setting up file sharing and
network browsing through the GUI is far simpler than it is on Debian.
Which brings me to a new thread...

--Michael