[SLUG] Spam from forms

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 19:14:55 EST

Folks:

I get a copy of every single form that's filled out on the SLUG
website-- New Member Surveys, For Sale items, etc. I'm seeing an
increasing (alarming) amount of repetitive spam coming in from these
forms now. I'm guessing that someone has a bot that's feeding data to
these forms, since no one in their right mind would manually fill in
forms like this so many times.

My question is: how does someone go about doing this? I build web forms
all the time, mostly driven by PHP (as these are). And I can't see how a
script from somewhere else could feed data into a form and then submit
it. There must be something I don't understand about the event model of
a web form. Can someone clue me in?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster