Re: [SLUG] Vista runs CAD almost 10X slower

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 22:57:17 EST

On 2/3/07, Rich Morgan <rmorgan@heavysystems.com> wrote:

> On Sat, February 3, 2007 6:24 pm, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > Ken Elliott wrote:
> >> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page7.html
> >>
> >> Background - MS put the OpenGL interface on top of DirectX in Vista.
> >> OpenGL
> >> is a 3D graphics standard, developed by Silicon Graphics, and supported
> >> by
> >> the Apple Mac, Linux and NT/W2K/XP. Looks like they made a big boo boo
> >> on
> >> this one. Ashlar is claiming that they will move their CAD package
> >> (Velum)
> >> to Linux.
> >>

> >> Ken Elliott
> >>

> > This may not be a misstep on Microsoft's part (assuming MS doesn't care
> > about this CAD package). They have a habit of forcing others to use
> > their technology (DirectX) by making it painful not to.
> >
> > Paul
>
> I'll be interested to see how some of the larger game dev shops handle
> this. Id Software is a big proponent of OpenGL and they have a lot of
> weight in the industry. Microsoft may find itself without a viable PC
> platform for games if they're not careful.

Id are two faced monkies. They are apposed to directx in there pr but they
make directx optimized games. They said they would support project rhapsody
with id games yet id has only a very small selection on non stellar titles
for OSX ( orginal code base for OSX was project rhapsody) id comment to
apple and rhapsody was outline in Boot magizine with McCormick being
interviewed by ex - ms direct x spin doctor Alex Saint John.

I dont see game companies throwing there wieght behind opengl. If they did
there would be optimized opengl cards instead of optimized direct x cards (
With the notable workstation exceptions of the ATI FireGL and the Nvidia
Quadro series of cards )
This is unfortnately another example of people crying foul way after the
fact. This was another area that other people let Microsoft take control
over of. Part of the reason is the slow moving process of adding new
features to opengl, while directx development progresses. Now that MS won
the gaming api war they have control over what people buy. If they want to
play a directx 10 optimized game then there forced to buy Vista.

While I know and have seen this CAD program velum before this article from
the 10 or so people I know who use CAD only one uses velum. Autodesk is the
900 pound gorilla. And while I hate installing Autocad and going through
the ms like activation hoops that is what everyone just uses.

My question is to them why linux now and not linux 2 years ago. They only
want to move do to ms crippling opengl support ( which will probably be
fixed eventually ) but it seems like to me as nothing more than a marketing
ploy.