RE: [SLUG] Vista runs CAD almost 10X slower

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 23:35:13 EST

>> If they did there would be optimized opengl cards instead of optimized
direct x cards ( With the notable workstation exceptions of the ATI FireGL
and the Nvidia Quadro series of cards )

Those game cards also support OpenGL. There are actually more OpenGL cards
than DirectX 10 cards.

>> This is unfortnately another example of people crying foul way after
the fact.

No, the CAD industry have been complaining to MS about this for over a year.

>> This was another area that other people let Microsoft take control over
of. Part of the reason is the slow moving process of adding new features to
opengl, while directx development progresses.

OpenGL has been a stable and mature technology for a decade, thanks to
Silicon Graphics. It was DirectX that has been trying to catch up to
OpenGL. MS adopted OpenGL in the early days of NT to encourage Unix-based
CAD programs to port to NT. Now that this has been done, MS is backstabbing
the industry, and they don't like it one bit. Several have told me that
there is no way they will port, and their customers will stick to XP rather
than use Vista. There is a _lot_ of talk of it being easier to port to
Linux and Mac, rather than convert to DirectX. Let's see who blinks first.

>> While I know and have seen this CAD program velum before this article
from the 10 or so people I know who use CAD only one uses velum. Autodesk
is the 900 pound gorilla. And while I hate installing Autocad and going
through the ms like activation hoops that is what everyone just uses

AutoCAD does not use OpenGL and is not affected by this. It is all the
higher end 3D CAD programs, like Solidworks, SolidEdge, CATIA, ProEngineer,
Unigraphics, Alibre, IronCAD, Think3, Rhino, and so on. 2D programs have no
use for OpenGL, only solid modelers and other such 3D programs are affected,
but this is the stuff that lies at the cutting edge. AutoCAD is old stuff,
and 3D modelers like Solidworks are growing like wildfire. My
Solidworks/FEA machine is a quad Xeon with 16GB of RAM, if that gives you
any idea of the level of power we are talking about. At this level, the
application dictates what OS is used. MS worked hard to get into this
market and could easily lose it. This is where all the 64-bit action is
happening.

I'll be visiting the Dassault and Solidworks folks this week. This is one
of the topics we will be discussing.

Ken Elliott