Re: [SLUG] Vista runs CAD almost 10X slower

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 17:45:18 EST

Rich Morgan wrote:
> On Sat, February 3, 2007 6:24 pm, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
>> Ken Elliott wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page7.html
>>>
>>> Background - MS put the OpenGL interface on top of DirectX in Vista.
>>> OpenGL
>>> is a 3D graphics standard, developed by Silicon Graphics, and supported
>>> by
>>> the Apple Mac, Linux and NT/W2K/XP. Looks like they made a big boo boo
>>> on
>>> this one. Ashlar is claiming that they will move their CAD package
>>> (Velum)
>>> to Linux.
>>>

>>> Ken Elliott
>>>

>> This may not be a misstep on Microsoft's part (assuming MS doesn't care
>> about this CAD package). They have a habit of forcing others to use
>> their technology (DirectX) by making it painful not to.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> I'll be interested to see how some of the larger game dev shops handle
> this. Id Software is a big proponent of OpenGL and they have a lot of
> weight in the industry. Microsoft may find itself without a viable PC
> platform for games if they're not careful.
>
> v/r,
> Rich Morgan
> OpenAddict.com

OK. There have been a lot of posts on this thread already, but I'm
going to take it back to an earlier level. Vista does not work with a
Zune. I downloaded RC-1 and installed it, and could not get it to
support drivers for my video and sound. They say it's secure, but I
don't think that this is a particularly good OS. Yeah, it's pretty, but
there are plenty of desktop managers that are just as pretty once you
get down to it. I was in a couple of electronics stores today and saw
people hounding the employees about whether a new computer was going to
be Vista compatable. I can't believe that they have the public by the
balls like this. It's not that great an OS. If I didn't know that I
had a choice from M$, I would just stick with XP for now. Then again,
that's just me.

--Michael