Re: [SLUG] Novell deal coming to a head with FSF

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 10:36:28 EST

On Monday 05 February 2007 10:07, David R. Meyer wrote:
> Levi Bard wrote:
> >> Which mean more fragments in linux. Which is the last thing we need .
> >
> > Which is why Novell shouldn't be playing their little games.
>
> The interesting thing is that the corporate world seems to disagree with
> you. They like the game Novell and MS are playing, which is good for
> Linux. I guess it is true...this has divided the community.
> Interesting times ahead.

That's not a given (being good for Linux). You can do things that a lot of
people and/or companies like, which is never the less going to kill or maim
them. Ignorance only appears to be a bliss.

Corporate* America sure does not understand OSS, never mind what is good for
it. Adding to that, anyone playing a game with MS is taking a huge risk.
Which is evident here too.

The corporate world got us windows because of lazy and ignorant managers
thinking that "Ah, a fancy GUI might even let ME configure that computer!"
which has brought us this substandard** called windows. (It was not their
marvelous marketing, but the promise of ease of use that a GUI looked like it
would provide.)

*Not ignoring the small minority that do understand it to some degree, but
never the less uses it.
**Which has trained new generations of techs that config files are evil and
should never be edited by hand. Thus allowing this overcomplex config system
MS pushed on all, and unmanageable by even themselves.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.