Re: [SLUG] Windows VM on Linux

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 09:26:00 EST

>From: "Chuck Hast" <wchast@gmail.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] Windows VM on Linux
>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:39:50 -0500
>
>I already have a Win XP partition on the machine, is there a way of using
>it rather than having to do a install into the VM? I.e. can the VM run the
>already installed XP?
>
>--
>Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --

QEMU is capable of booting from a partition. However, the hardware that it
emulates is going to be completely different from the real hardware in your
machine. Because of this, Windows XP is likely to freak out, require a
repair install, and force you to re-activate.

To do this, point QEMU at the HDD instead of the virtual disk. The command
would be similar to this to do the repair installation:

    qemu -hda /dev/hda -hdc /dev/cdrom -boot d

Once Windows as been re-installed, this command would boot it:

    qemu -hda /dev/hda

While you do not need to run specifically as root in order to do any of
this, you do need write access to the /dev/hda device file.

Jonathon

>From predictions to trailers, check out the MSN Entertainment Guide to the
Academy Awards®
http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2007/?icid=ncoscartagline1