Re: [SLUG] kernel build environment questions

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 22:19:12 EST

Bill Glidden wrote:

<snip>

> There is a line in the makefile for the driver that reads:
>
> INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/src/linux/drivers/usb
>

> I don’t have a linux directory under /usr/src. I can’t find a directory
> named “drivers” which contains .h files, anywhere on the system. Must I
> do something else to get the build environment set up properly?
>
> The net result is that the driver doesn’t compile correctly, because I’m
> assuming it’s missing the include files that it needs.
>
> Any hints or suggestions welcome! Or, put another way, does anyone want
> to come to my office and figure this out for me? I don’t have the time,
> but I do have the money!

Normally it works this way on Debian:

/usr/src will have a lot of subdirectories, but the one you want is
/usr/src/linux. You make that a symlink to the directory that contains
the linux kernel source you want. But if I'm not mistaken, you have to
unpack the source first, which creates the exact directory you want.

Debian is a little weird about this. They have a whole other module
directory somewhere else that duplicates what's in the kernel source
directory (once you build the kernel). And then there's another
directory that duplicates the header files elsewhere. Maybe they all do
that; I dunno.

Paul

P.S. Use the 2.6 kernels; they're faster, among other things.

--
Paul M. Foster