Re: [SLUG] Why is time slipping?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 22:12:48 EST

blee2@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Thus Paul M Foster hast written on Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 04:49:12PM -0500, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
>> I'm losing up to 10 minutes per hour on this box. And that certainly
>> doesn't make sense.
>
> YIKES! That is crazy!
>
> There was an article on the US Naval Observatory's website that talked
> about how computers with GUI's are really bad for keeping accurate time.
> Whenever there is a mouse move, click, keypress, network access, etc, it
> causes an interrupt. The interrupt preempts processes, including
> updates of the Real Time Clock.
>
> Your numbers would be 10 seconds every minute, which is a sixth (1/6)
> of a second lost every second. Anyhow, it's crazy.
>
> With the poor performance you mentioned, I think there may be something
> else wrong with the system. When you run "top", is there one process
> that stays at the top and uses 99% of CPU? (Maybe a distributed.net or
> seti@home client?) Are your CPU and MoBo clock speed set correctly?
> Are your CPU and case fan spinning? (The CPU fan on my AMD-K6-2 sometimes
> stops on reboot and halves processor speed once it heats up.)
>
> Any chance you have a different processor you could put in, or a
> different case you could move the drive to, just to see if performance
> improves?

Oh, I *know* there's something wrong with the machine. Screen savers
move in jumps, performance on everything is way slower than this
CPU/memory combination should warrant.

No, there's no one process sucking CPU. I checked long ago on this. In
fact, back when I checked (and the time sucked then, too), my wife was
barely using the machine. She ran blackbox (very thin window manager),
Thunderbird, and maybe a game like shisen-sho. Now she's using it more,
and the performance is worse. I put a second fan in that case, just
because it seemed like the air coming out was too hot to me. Fans all
spin. I wouldn't rule out a mismatch on the CPU and memory timings, but
I don't even know what they *should* be or how to change them.
Unfortunately, only a Sempron CPU will fit the board, and I don't have a
spare.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster