Re: [SLUG] Why is time slipping?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 22:57:14 EST

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Paul M Foster wrote:

> blee2@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
>> Thus Paul M Foster hast written on Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 04:49:12PM -0500,
>> and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
>>> I'm losing up to 10 minutes per hour on this box. And that certainly
>>> doesn't make sense.
>>
>> Any chance you have a different processor you could put in, or a
>> different case you could move the drive to, just to see if performance
>> improves?
>
> Oh, I *know* there's something wrong with the machine. Screen savers move in
> jumps, performance on everything is way slower than this CPU/memory
> combination should warrant.
>
> No, there's no one process sucking CPU. I checked long ago on this.

I'm thinking an OS-level driver has gone crazy, busy-waiting or whatnot.
Have you tried booting another kernel (from a rescue disk or whatever)? Do
you normally run one of the vendor-supplied "kitchen sink" kernels, or is it
one you compiled with just the drivers you need, and most of those
modularized? Can you try "rmmod"ing things and see when it stops?

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.no-ip.org:81
PISCES:  Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola