Re: [SLUG] Why is time slipping?

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 23:50:31 EST

Eben King wrote:

>> Oh, I *know* there's something wrong with the machine. Screen savers
>> move in jumps, performance on everything is way slower than this
>> CPU/memory combination should warrant.
>>
>> No, there's no one process sucking CPU. I checked long ago on this.
>
> I'm thinking an OS-level driver has gone crazy, busy-waiting or
> whatnot. Have you tried booting another kernel (from a rescue disk or
> whatever)? Do you normally run one of the vendor-supplied "kitchen
> sink" kernels, or is it one you compiled with just the drivers you
> need, and most of those modularized? Can you try "rmmod"ing things
> and see when it stops?

This sounds like a IRQ routing issue. Welcome to the pain of ACPI and/or
broken a APIC.

Have you tried booting with any of the following kernel options:

    acpi=off
    noapic
    nolapic
    irqpoll

Try each one, and in various combinations. I'll wager one of them will
"fix" the clock problem as well as much of your perceived slowness.

- Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/