Re: [SLUG] Why is time slipping?

From: blee2@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 17:40:22 EST

Thus Paul M Foster hast written on Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 04:49:12PM -0500, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
> I'm losing up to 10 minutes per hour on this box. And that certainly
> doesn't make sense.

YIKES! That is crazy!

There was an article on the US Naval Observatory's website that talked
about how computers with GUI's are really bad for keeping accurate time.
Whenever there is a mouse move, click, keypress, network access, etc, it
causes an interrupt. The interrupt preempts processes, including
updates of the Real Time Clock.

Your numbers would be 10 seconds every minute, which is a sixth (1/6)
of a second lost every second. Anyhow, it's crazy.

With the poor performance you mentioned, I think there may be something
else wrong with the system. When you run "top", is there one process
that stays at the top and uses 99% of CPU? (Maybe a distributed.net or
seti@home client?) Are your CPU and MoBo clock speed set correctly?
Are your CPU and case fan spinning? (The CPU fan on my AMD-K6-2 sometimes
stops on reboot and halves processor speed once it heats up.)

Any chance you have a different processor you could put in, or a
different case you could move the drive to, just to see if performance
improves?

I'd suggest this may have become part of a botnet that's hogging CPU,
but its Linux.

--Bryan