Re: [SLUG] Why is time slipping?

From: SOTL (sotl155360@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 19:14:10 EST

On Friday 09 February 2007 09:18, Eben King wrote:
> Paul M Foster wrote:
> > Stock kernel in the 2.6.18 area, as I recall. You actually think it's a
> > driver? I was thinking hardware.
>
> Could be both -- a driver misled/confused by dodgy hardware. For instance,
> if it turns out your NIC is broken in such a way that it makes the IPv6
> driver act up, and you don't use IPv6, you've lost nothing by disabling it.
>
> Try booting in single-user mode, which disibles most drivers, and see if
> the problem occurs.
I do not have the linux knowledge of my learned follower SLUGgers but I do
know that if you set time to local time you can get some very weird results.
I personally solved this by setting ALL the computers to GMT time and then
adjusting the Bois clock to local time. If you do this of course you CAN NOT
use an Internet time synk but it did solve some weird problems for me.

Another possible source of this problem is that the Bois battery needs
replacing.

Frank