Re: [SLUG] Apt-get troubles in ubuntu

From: Keith Lelacheur (themercuryman@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 23:00:26 EST

On 2/14/07, Levi Bard <taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have a relatively fresh ubuntu 6.10 install that has been modified
> with:
> >
> > "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop"
> >

> > The process seems to go as designed except now whenever I try to use
> > apt-get, aptitude, or synaptic I get errors like the ones below:
>
> Does `apt-get -f install` (with no packages given) help?
>
> --

This is my output after running `apt-get -f install`

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
3 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up rdiff-backup (1.1.5-1) ...
Compiling /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/LanguageSelector/LocaleInfo.py
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/LanguageSelector/LocaleInfo.py",
line 58
    self._languagelist[localeenv[0]] = '%s thew[6]
                                                 ^
SyntaxError: EOL while scanning single-quoted string

dpkg: error processing rdiff-backup (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of keep:
 keep depends on rdiff-backup; however:
  Package rdiff-backup is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing keep (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kubuntu-desktop:
 kubuntu-desktop depends on keep; however:
  Package keep is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing kubuntu-desktop (--configure):
 rdiff-backup
 keep
 kubuntu-desktop
kingmojo@loki:~$

It is the same thing that I was getting with the other dpkg and apt-get type
commands. Supposedly rdiff-backup gets installed, but there is something
wrong with the configure script that is required for the dpkg database to
get updated. Rdiff-backup and keep seem to be installed and working in my
kubuntu desktop, the dpkg database just doesn't want to recognize the
installation. I really would not use that functionality on this desktop,
and would be happy to uninstall those applications (rdiff-backup and keep)
if I could keep the rest of the kubuntu-desktop. Any thoughts on how to
accomplish this?

Keith