[SLUG] Network Foobar

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2007 - 22:58:31 EST

Folks,
I switched my wife's linux box from a wifi link to a wired link (ran some cat
5 through the attic and down the wall) I removed the wifi card (I have had
problems in the past with two cards getting into a contest over who owns
what so just pulled the thing out to get any possible problems out of the
way) but I can not get the nic card to pick up a dhcp assignment. I can plug
my laptop into the new cable connection using the same cable I am using
to go to the desktop and it picks up a address in a second or less, but my
desktop just insist that it is not going to do it. Funny thing is that when I
first connected the cable to the desktop the port came alive and got a dhcp
assignment even though the wifi card was still in there and was talking.

Now all it does is pick up a 169 address (says link-local to a route cmd)

I have removed the wifi card and can not figure out what is messed up.

Distro is SuSe 10.1, YaST comes up and finds the card says it is configuring
the card and I see no errors but it just will not get a assignment, and if I try
a static address it still bucks.

Any ideas on this one?

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --