Re: [SLUG] Network Foobar

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 09:27:54 EST

Chuck Hast wrote:
> Folks,
> I switched my wife's linux box from a wifi link to a wired link (ran
> some cat
> 5 through the attic and down the wall) I removed the wifi card (I have had
> problems in the past with two cards getting into a contest over who owns
> what so just pulled the thing out to get any possible problems out of the
> way) but I can not get the nic card to pick up a dhcp assignment. I can
> plug
> my laptop into the new cable connection using the same cable I am using
> to go to the desktop and it picks up a address in a second or less, but my
> desktop just insist that it is not going to do it. Funny thing is that
> when I
> first connected the cable to the desktop the port came alive and got a dhcp
> assignment even though the wifi card was still in there and was talking.
>
> Now all it does is pick up a 169 address (says link-local to a route cmd)
>
> I have removed the wifi card and can not figure out what is messed up.
>
> Distro is SuSe 10.1, YaST comes up and finds the card says it is
> configuring
> the card and I see no errors but it just will not get a assignment, and
> if I try
> a static address it still bucks.
>
> Any ideas on this one?

Can the desktop pull DHCP with different wired connection?
Is is possible that NIC speed\duplex is hard coded on a auto detect
switch port? That would normally result in a duplex mismatch.

While I'm on the subject..
It is a common mistake to hard code speed\duplex without making sure the
switch port is also hard coded. Auto negotiation relies on FLP's (fast
link pulse) sent by NIC and switch port. Hard coding one side breaks
this. For reference cisco.com has a nice table on valid settings.
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/46.html#auto_neg_valid

Regards,