Re: [SLUG] daylight savings?

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 15:37:55 EST

> I have been reading lots of articles about the daylight savings change. I
know that it is causing
> lots of problems with the windows world. What about LINUX? Is it going
to cause us any problems?

timezone & java packages need updates... both userspace with no reboot
necessary

many databases (like oracle, postgres, etc) that provide their own time
services will also need updates. They typically provide their own because
they are written to run on many different architectures and OS, and rather
than deal with multiple methods of date/time/timezone stuff, they roll their
own. Typically, you won't be running multiple database solutions (if you
even run any).

Microsoft is hard hit because a few of their applications and server
software packages each implement date/time routines individually... like
Outlook and Exchange (among many others). These are on top of their updates
to the OS which will also require a reboot, and their database (SQL Server),
etc.

~ Daniel