Re: [SLUG] daylight savings?

From: William Coulter (wrcoulter30@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 08:59:01 EST

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but I have been on vacation. I am very sore today, so I
am taking a break.
Thanks for you info. I don't have any databases but I did not know how much LINUX would be
affected by it.

--- Daniel Jarboe <daniel.jarboe@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have been reading lots of articles about the daylight savings change. I
> know that it is causing
> > lots of problems with the windows world. What about LINUX? Is it going
> to cause us any problems?
>
> timezone & java packages need updates... both userspace with no reboot
> necessary
>
> many databases (like oracle, postgres, etc) that provide their own time
> services will also need updates. They typically provide their own because
> they are written to run on many different architectures and OS, and rather
> than deal with multiple methods of date/time/timezone stuff, they roll their
> own. Typically, you won't be running multiple database solutions (if you
> even run any).
>
> Microsoft is hard hit because a few of their applications and server
> software packages each implement date/time routines individually... like
> Outlook and Exchange (among many others). These are on top of their updates
> to the OS which will also require a reboot, and their database (SQL Server),
> etc.
>
> ~ Daniel

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html