Re: [SLUG] projector

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2007 - 11:25:23 EST

    Well, I'm now in a position to give some results on my projector
project. No regrets. There's more that we need to do to get it
perfect, but it's now close. I bought an Optoma HD72, which is a
native-WXGA resolution projector. It has a 5000:1 maximum contrast
ratio, 1400-ANSI Lumen light rating, and the resolution will support
720p natively, and it has a slew of input source options. Currently, we
are using an old RCA VCR as our TV tuner (because we are ghetto), but
soon that will be replaced with a HTPC. We have been enjoying many
DVD's and Laserdisks on this screen as well as the three or four TV
shows that we ever catch. For our screen, we decided to go with DIY
Theater's "Low-Contrast White Platinum" screen paint. If you are
interested in hearing the caveats of painting a screen, please email me
off-list and I'll give you the gory details. The end results are
wonderful, though. Even in daylight, the picture is quite viewable, but
we have curtains over the sliding door on the perpendicular wall that
help a lot. When we were testing the projector on a flat, white wall,
it looked good as long as it was completely dark. With the paint up,
however, we can enjoy it even with lights on in the adjoining room and a
lamp on in the room with us. I threw a test drive in my PC and plugged
it in via a DVI-D cable, and installed Sabayon Linux on it. I was
thrilled at how nice it looked playing DVD's like that. I did not play
with it much, but I could not get the resolution in Sabayon adjusted to
the full 1280x768. It defaulted to 1280x720, which worked fine for
watching widescreen, but would be frustrating when watching the old 4:3
aspect ratio. Also, the projector auto-configures to an input source,
and the delay on it caused some problems while booting.
    So, here's the question portion of this email: Where do I set the
resolution in a Gentoo-based distro, such as Sabayon? Also, is there a
way that you can set the computer to default to a video output that it
doesn't necessarily see a device on at boot-up so that it makes it a
little easier to get the old HTPC talking nicely to the projector? Thanks!

--Michael