Re: [SLUG] Postfix: relay inbound, deliver outbound.

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 22:36:52 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:

>> 1. This external relay will be the primary MX and relay all inbound
>> mail for example.com to a postfix server on my internal network for
>> processing and local delivery
>>

> This is a fairly standard setup, if I'm reading you right. There's a
> "smarthost" on the internet that accepts and relays mail for your
> domain, example.com. Your LAN mail server goes and gets this mail,
> usually via something like fetchmail, in a cron job if you like. The
> cron job operates from the LAN mailserver and fetches the mail to that
> server for distribution.
>
> Am I missing something?

Thanks for your reply. You have the gist of what I'm trying to
accomplish. That is a fairly standard setup but I want something that
is completely dynamic.

I believe I have figured it out.
External relay:
MX record for example.com is the external relay.
              /etc/postfix/transport on the external relay should be
              example.com smtp:internal.example.com
             .example.com smtp:internal.example.com

          as long as "mynetworks" is configured for the routable
     address of my internal server it should process the outbound mail
from my internal server properly.

Internal:
  /etc/postfix/transport on the internal server should be
                example.com :
               .example.com :
               * smtp:outbound.example.com

(For security my internal relay will only be allowed to talk to my
external relay.)