Re: [SLUG] Postfix: relay inbound, deliver inbound.

From: Antonio De Leon (aldleonm@nemonico.org)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 22:46:50 EST

Paul M Foster wrote:
> Chris Mathey wrote:
>
>> I am hoping any resident postfix gurus can help.
>>
>> I have a hosted virtual private server (fedora6) that I want to use
>> as a SMTP relay(postfix).
>>
>> This VPS has minimal resources so it will do minimal processing incl.
>> sanity checks and RBL's, possible spam\AV if I can pull it off. I
>> also have root.
>
> Don't know how to do RBLs and AV from postfix, but it doesn't take
> much resources to accept and relay mail. Unless you have a helluva lot
> of it.
>

>> 1. This external relay will be the primary MX and relay all inbound
>> mail for example.com to a postfix server on my internal network for
>> processing and local delivery
>>

> This is a fairly standard setup, if I'm reading you right. There's a
> "smarthost" on the internet that accepts and relays mail for your
> domain, example.com. Your LAN mail server goes and gets this mail,
> usually via something like fetchmail, in a cron job if you like. The
> cron job operates from the LAN mailserver and fetches the mail to that
> server for distribution.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
>> 2. My local postfix server will send all non local email to the
>> external relay for direct delivery.
>
> For this, you set up the default transport in postfix to smtp for the
> host you're relaying to. In the transports file in your /etc/postfix
> directory,
>
> alfa :
> bravo :
> charlie local:
> * smtp:mail.delta.com
>
> The first two above are machine on the local network which will accept
> mail and smtp connections with the relaying machine, charlie. Charlie
> is the machine on which you're doing this. The last line specifies
> that all other mail uses the smtp protocol to connect to
> mail.delta.com to deliver mail elsewhere (your LAN mailserver).
>
> After writing this file, be sure to db-ify it by running something like:
>
> postmap hash:/etc/postfix/transport
>

>> Thanks for your help, I've been searching all afternoon for the best
>> approach.
>
> Sorry if I've missed the mark here. I'm not exactly sure what you're
> asking for. From the sound of it, it sounds like what most people do.
>
> Paul

Hi, first post.

I have the same setup with postfix, i have my gmail account forward my
mail to my local internal server running postfix, also having to server
my own domain nemonico.org with SASL SMTP authentication , and was the
most straight forward setup i had, compared to sendmail, which took me a
lot of time and the insecurity of having having it in the internet didnt
seem fair so i took
postfix but running under openbsd to keep the thing more tight. The
spam/av setup for me dosent seem to apply to me as i dont
have much traffic. Im posting my conf "main.cf" to see if it works for
you and to see if anyone sees a misconf or anything not supposed to be
there.

------ main.cf ------
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/local/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/local/libexec/postfix
mail_owner = _postfix
myhostname = kettle.nemonico.org
mydomain = nemonico.org
myorigin = nemonico.org
inet_interfaces = $myhostname
inet_protocols = all
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain,
zooth.zapto.org,
        kettle.zapto.org, zooth.$mydomain, $myhostname.$mydomain
####
# since we use SASL ( non-unix accounts ) we must add every user that
# receives mail here. Then run postmap hash:/etc/postfix/email_accounts
#local_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/email_accounts
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/24
relay_domains = $mydestination zooth.zapto.org
relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
in_flow_delay = 1s
canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
#smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (1.4.2)
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP (1.4.2)
#local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
#default_destination_concurrency_limit = 20
sendmail_path = /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
newaliases_path = /usr/local/sbin/newaliases
mailq_path = /usr/local/sbin/mailq
setgid_group = _postdrop
html_directory = /usr/local/share/doc/postfix/html
manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
readme_directory = /usr/local/share/doc/postfix/readme

Hope it helps....