Re: [SLUG] TO: Dell survey

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 22:09:21 EST

On 3/14/07, SOTL <sotl155360@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 March 2007 10:48, Steve Schmidt wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 March 2007 11:18, William Coulter wrote:
> > > I don't know how much this will make any change but here is your
> chance
> > > to do something about it. Dell has a survey out and wants everyone to
> > > fill it out. lets see what this Linux Community can really do. If we
> > > can get a BIG company to change like this, it will help bring Linux up
> > > from the closets and to computer stores. In my opinion, Dell is doing
> it
> > > right while Novell is not.
> > >
> > > William
> >
> > They have already let us know it's not going to happen for some time to
> > come. It cost them too much to "tool" up to deliver and support. Every
> time
> > it came to this point they played along until it came to deliver then no
> > can do.
>
> The simplest way for any OEM to do this would be to build a Linux
> compatible
> laptop and then simply ship a box set of Linux (Red Hat, SuSE, Mandriva
> Ubitoo (sp=?) et with each computer as a start.
>
> Linux compatible that is a computer whose hardware is not some weird
> proprietary system that when the leading distributions like Debian are
> installed all components work. That implies that modems are not win modems
> but full complete workable modems, that the configuration program will
> configure them and this applies equally to LAN and WiFI which lately have
> been suffering the same issues that modems do.
>
> Simple when one thinks of it.
>
> But what the OEM want to do is puss off some piece of cheap crappie junk
> which
> does not have open source drivers and requires proprietary programs to
> work.
> This is not going to happen simply because no open source drivers will
> ever
> be written when the specifications are unknown.
>
> SOTL

Agreed. What ever machine they put outwhere they are going to bundle with
linux should be able to run slackware and have all hardware supported. I
could of said suse or redhat but the problem is they often imploy driver
systems that are not so standard, like ndiswrapper. So it goes back to your
statement no funny hardware that requires massive work arounds to work in
linux.