Re: [SLUG] spam hell

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 15:20:34 EST

Larry Brown wrote:
> I have a situation where some main stream spammer has elected to use my
> domain name for a number of their e-mail addresses they send BS out
> there as. So I get <gibberish>@dimensionnetworks.com bounce backs at a
> very high rate. Postfix denies the connection with a 450 user unknown
> response but it doesn't change the fact that it is eating my bandwidth
> for no reason. This also causes my log files to grow at a rate of
> around 10 lines/second. I get probably on average 1.5 bounces/second.
> I can't block the source of these e-mails as they are legitimate mail
> servers just bouncing either virus laden, spam filled, or mail destined
> for users that don't exist.
>
> It doesn't appear to take much of a toll on my processor, but I have
> probably a hundred smtp threads handling this and I'd like to find a way
> to avoid it if possible.
>
> Has anyone dealt with this? I don't see how it can be dealt with other
> than retiring the domain name, but what kind of %$#@! is that? I guess
> I could outsource my mail only and let someone else deal with the
> bandwidth...
>
> Any ideas?

I have a similar situation. Every idiot west of Mars thinks it's fun to
try to send mail to the SLUG list, whether they're s*bscr*bed or not.
And every time they do, I get a bounce notification from NKS. And then
there are the idiots who send spam in the name of suncoastlug.org. I get
crap from them too. Then there are the six or so corporate domains I
own, all of which are treated the same way by spammers, particularly
since mine and my wife's email addresses (in one form or another) are
all over those websites. We each get 400-800 pieces of mail a day, about
90% of which is spam (including bogus bounces).

Oh, that's right. You wanted an actual *solution*. ;-}

My email addresses are all handled by my hosting company's servers on
the internet. So I can only process the mail when they pass it on to me.
  I have such spam handling infrastructure you wouldn't believe locally.
But none of this helps on a bandwidth level.

I've heard of something but have never done it. Seems like there are
certain MTAs which can retrieve headers only and then make a decision on
whether to accept or reject email based on header content. But I'm very
fuzzy on it, since it wouldn't really help me much.

And the other problem *you* have is that you don't want to miss a *real*
bounce (you sent an email to a slightly misspelled email address, which
bounced back). Otherwise, you could simply reject all bounces.

I'll say this: NKS has the expertise to handle something like this, and
I know they fight with it constantly. If they can't beat it, I don't
know that you can. If you don't want to *see* the bounces, that's one
thing. If you want to limit your bandwidth by not getting them, that's
another. Let us know if you find a solution. The rest of the world would
love to hear about it, too. ;-}

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster