Re: [SLUG] spam hell

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 18:20:46 EST

On Thursday 22 March 2007 16:24, Larry Brown wrote:

> Has anyone dealt with this? I don't see how it can be dealt with other
> than retiring the domain name, but what kind of %$#@! is that? I guess
> I could outsource my mail only and let someone else deal with the
> bandwidth...
>
> Any ideas?

Yes. There's only one thing that I know that will handle it. Give up on email!
Just kidding! See if you or your ISP can support white lists.

Anyone not in the list is refused by the server. The first time each one who
sends an email gets a reply where they have to say who they are and why they
want to get through, or some such.

There's the thing of making sure the mailserver does a verify of the IP to
match the name used. I.e. DNS lookup.

800-1000 a day sure is a bunch.

I got ten domains but I don't have my address fully typed out so I don't get
as much, maybe 50-100/day. I used to have catch-all but they are all gone.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.