[SLUG] apt errors return

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 23:41:43 EST

A few minutes ago I tried to install "k9copy". Synaptic doesn't admit its
existence; fine, I'll go from source. Go to its web site, see this:

,--
| Prerequisit
|
| * DVDAuthor
| * libdvdread
| * growisofs
| * mencoder
| * mplayer
| * libhal
| * libdbus
| * libdbus-qt
'--

OK, I'll see how far I can get.

,--
| eben@pc:~/src/k9copy-1.1.0$ ./configure --disable-debug --disable-dependency-tracking
| checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check
| your installation and add the correct paths!
'--

Oopsie. But fair enough; I may not have compiled X software on this
system before. Let's see what Synaptic can do about that.

Yep, "x-window-system-dev" is not installed. I double-click it (select for
installation), and -- whoa, popup:

,--
| Warning
|
| You are about to install software that can't be authenticated! Doing this
| could allow a malicious individual to damage or take control of your
| system.
|
| Mark additional required changes?
|
| The chosen action also affects other packages. The following changes are
| required in order to proceed:
|
| +---------------------------+
| |v NOT AUTHENTICATED |
| | render-dev |
| | x-dev |
| | v To be installed |
| | render-dev |
| | x-dev |
| +---------------------------+
|
| [Cancel] [Mark]
'--

render-dev and x-dev sounded harmless, so I hit [Mark]. Then I get another
message with a do-not-enter pictogram that said:

,--
| Could not mark all packages for installation or upgrade
|
| The following packages have unresolvable dependencies. Make sure that all
| required repositories are added and enabled in the preferences.
|
| +-----------------------------------------------------------+
| | x-window-system-dev: |
| | Depends: libice-dev but it is not going to be installed |
| | Depends: libice6-dbg but it is not going to be installed |
| | Depends: libsm-dev but it is not going to be installed |
etc, for a couple dozen lines

So, it looks as if the problem may lie in /etc/apt/sources.list . Some of
the lines, when enabled, complain about GPG. I have GPG; how do I set it up
so apt is happy?

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.