Re: [SLUG] spam hell

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2007 - 08:57:50 EST

On Thursday 22 March 2007 14:19, SOTL wrote:

> Then I have the other account which is used for everythin one can thank of.
> Mail is in the 2 to 3 hundred level per day with most of it being various
> list that I subscribed to but really do not participate in. Much of this is
> piped deleted with out reading except when I for one reason or the other
> decide to do so. In the past the level of trash picked up as Paul indicated
> reached such level that the only way to continue was simply change email
> addresses. Surprisingly this usually takes a week or two to do but then my
> mail volume drops back to around 100 messages per day.

I agree. Whenever I subscribe to some list I use an account name which I can
waste. But I take it one step further by using a unique name for each company
that i leave an address with. If I then get spam with one of those I can tell
who gave it out.

It's worse when you get spammed on the webmaster name as many servers won't
deal with you without that account in place. Admin is another name I'm now
switching away from. Instead I use various alterations of what used to be
standard names.

What I don't understand is how it takes a week or two to switch. Or do you
mean for you to change the email with every list you are on?

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.