Re: [SLUG] 1280x768 resolution on xorg.conf

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2007 - 13:18:07 EST

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Matt Miller wrote:

> On 3/29/07, Michael Hast <evylrobot@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all!
>>
>> I'm busy making more trouble and breaking more machines, just like
>> normal. I'm still fighting with this machine, trying to get it to go
>> to 1280x768 resolution (native resolution of the projector), and I
>> must not be doing something right, because it persists to display
>> 1280x720. I'm still playing with Sabayon 2.1.x, Intel i686, bla, bla,
>> bla... Here is what the screen section of my xorg.conf file looks
>> like:
>>
>> Section "Screen"

[snip]

> Also, I believe the closest mode supported by xorg is 1280x800. It is
> the mode I use for both my laptop screen and DLP TV at home. For my TV
> at home, I have to adjust the borders slightly to fit.

IIRC TVs use pixels a bit taller than square. 320x240 fills a 4:3 screen on
a computer, but it looks like 352x240 is required on a TV [1]. So TV pixels
are 320/352 = 10/11 the width of a square pixel, or 11/10 the height of a
square pixel, take your pick. So your 1280x800 screen should look 11/10 - 1
= 10% too narrow, or 1 - 10/11 ~= 9% too tall on a TV. Is that about right?

[1] http://www.videohelp.com/vcd#tech2

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except